This is the web site of the South Slavic Club of Dayton, Ohio. The purpose of our club is to preserve, teach and celebrate the cultures of the countries that comprised the former Yugoslavia (Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia) and Bulgaria. We are strictly a social, non-political and non-profit all-volunteer organization and we welcome anyone with an interest in this part of the world.
Thanks for taking the time to look around.
Like everyone else, our activities have been greatly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Here is a letter from our President, Karl Downing, that was sent to all our members in late September.
Hello South Slavic Club Members and Friends,
The Club is alive and well, but not very active this year. The Board has met several times, virtually, and have had to make some very hard decisions during this Covid Active Year.
- The Fall Kolo party has been cancelled for this year.
- The Christmas party has been cancelled for this year.
- The International Festival is scheduled for May 21, 22 and 23 – Note this will be addressed by DIFI board month by month.
- Zivio and Jr. Zivio is currently in limbo until Covid subsides, at which time they will be begin where they left off.
- The Annual Meeting (typically scheduled for November) for 2020 has been cancelled.
- The Board also unanimously voted to forgo this year’s elections and those who are currently holding board and advisory board positions will continue in said positions through 2021.
The next board meeting is schedule for January, where the board will be determining, (based on current and foreseeable Covid dictates as well as the expert opinion of those board members who are in the medical field), what the next moves of the club will be.
I know this email may not be what everyone was looking for, but the situation dictates our decisions. I will keep you up to date after our January meeting.
Wishing everyone a safe year!
South Slavic Club